22 October 2006

Apple Pie Dreams

I think it's safe to say that I have fairly random tendancies... Especially when it comes to food. It's a fairly normal occurrence to walk in my front door and decide to do something crazy like make chicken cordon bleu from scratch or throw together a seafood risotto just because it sounds good.

This weekend: Apple Pie. I don't know why, but I got a cinnamon apple candle and it smelled good so I decided to try my hand at apple pie. For those who know me well, you might know that baking is not exactly my strength. I tried to make chocolate cookies from scratch once... The boiling, burning mess that covered the bottom of the oven was all I had to show for it. I learned pretty early on that pre-made cookie dough was the way to go for me.

I had the bug, though, so I sent out the roommate for ingredients and started mixing up a pie dough (yup! The pie shell was even from scratch), peeling apples, and getting things ready for the experiment du jour. The crust seemed to go well - I only lost count of my tablespoons of water once and it seemed to be close to the consistancy of store-bought pie dough. Justin made the caramel sauce that went over the apples and we had family movie night while it baked.

When it came out of the oven 45 minutes later, it was a beautifully browned, delicious smelling success with only minor issues that come with experience! The crust is a little on the tough side because I think I got an extra tablespoon of water in it after all, but the apples are amazing and the overall effect was quite tasty. I vote SUCCESS! Next stop ... pecan pie to practice for Thanksgiving. Any good recipes out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll take a look at home and see if I have any good pecan pie recipes for you. :-) I did see a recipe for a cranberry creme brule(sp) in a new holiday cookbook I just got that I thought you would enjoy making. My baking for the weekend was two cheesecakes for a dinner party we are having Tuesday night (Caramel Apple and White Chocolate Raspberry). They smelt good but we will have to wait till tomorrow to tell you how they tasted. Anyway. Glad to here your apple pie was a success. Talk to you later.